One Laboratory Technician position with experience in nano-chemistry - [ Technical ]Added on: 05/03/2020 - Expires on 05/04/2020
One Laboratory Technician position is available at the Centre for Cultural Heritage Technology (CCHT) of the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia based in Venice.
The Laboratory Technician in the newly established laboratories of the Centre for Cultural Heritage Technology is responsible for the regular maintenance and running of the lab equipment (in synthesis, optical microscopies, ageing chambers) and for the purchase of new lab equipment and chemicals. Overall lab supervision, with great emphasis on safety and waste management, is a core task. In addition, the introduction of (PhD) students to novel equipment is part of the tasks. An active attitude in keeping up with new developments in nanoparticles and/or polymers is important.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1 – Coordinate Environment Health and Safety (HSE) matters
- Ensure Health & Safety compliance for all operations and spaces of the laboratory.
- Oversee storage and disposal of hazardous chemicals.
- Ensure that laboratory is compliant on all risk assessments and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) forms and that all other relevant documentation is completed and maintained.
- Ensure that relevant Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is used where appropriate.
- Manage the entire process regarding waste management, from the operational to the administrative part
2 - Provide general technical support for all laboratory activities:
- Carry out day-to-day maintenance of laboratory equipment e.g. balances, vacuum pumps, hoods.
- Maintain general laboratory supplies and stocks e.g. solvents, chemicals, vials.
- Ensure general tidiness in the laboratories.
- Supervise users when working in the laboratories.
3 - Maintain the laboratory databases:
- Maintain databases of equipment, chemicals etc.
- Maintain data libraries, databases and user manuals associated with instrumentation.
- Use of booking and finance tool (SAP) for purchasing chemicals and equipment.
4 - Coordinate and oversee IIT contractors and engineers for purchasing the instrumentation or infrastructure of the CCHT laboratories.
Qualifications - Completed a Master degree (or equivalent qualification) in Chemistry or related scientific discipline. Doctoral degree is considered as an added value.
- Knowledge of Laboratory specific Environment Health & Safety matters.
- Knowledge of a range of analytical techniques and control software.
- Significant experience in synthesis of nanoparticles.
- An interest in nanotechnologies and polymer chemistry.
- Excellent organizational skills and attitude for problem-solving
- Good proficiency in English
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good communicator and able to instruct others, especially students from a variety of different cultures.
- Ability to work with efficiency and accuracy while prioritizing workload.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and chemical drawing software
- Willingness to learn new skills.
Salary and benefits will be competitive for international standards.
Please send your CV, a letter detailing your motivation for the application, and the name of one referee to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Laboratory Technician CCHT CB 75133”
Please apply before April, 04, 2020
Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia – IIT (www.iit.it) - was founded with the objective of promoting Italy's technological development and further education in science and technology. In this framework, IIT’s scientific program is based on the combination of basic scientific research with the development of technical applications, a major inspirational principle. The research areas cover scientific topics of high innovative content, representing the most advanced frontiers of modern technology, with wide application possibilities in various fields ranging from medicine to industry, from computer science to robotics, life sciences and nanobiotechnology.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce
We inform you that the information you provide will be used solely for the purposes of evaluating and selecting professional profiles in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone +39 010 71781 - email: dpo[at]iit.it).